Wednesday, December 01, 2010

24 Days of Christmas - Day 1 - Nativity

I'm shamelessly copying another blogger by doing this but, hopefully, she won't mind -- imitation is supposed to be the highest compliment! I'll have a Christmas post each day with pictures from my home or items I'm making for Christmas (if I ever have time!)

Because Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus Christ, my first pictures will be of our nativity set. This was a gift to us from my in-laws for our first Christmas -- it's something they did for each of their 5 children. Just as Christ was the cornerstone in their lives, they wanted Him to be the cornerstone in ours.
I've added lots of characters to the set -- one a year for many years. Especially dear are the chicken & other fowl and the dog who follows the shepherd.

The gold glittered pine cone in the stable's loft was a 'gift' for baby Jesus from my oldest son at age 3. The ivory soap, painted cone & pine cone trees around the stable were all made by one of my guys in preschool. As the ivory soap 'greens' and glued on stars have fallen off over the years, each tree has become more precious because of the little hands that made it.
If you look back at the first picture, you'll see that baby Jesus isn't in the manger. It looks a little odd for the whole month of December, but it's our family tradition to put him away and then get him out on Christmas morning and say a prayer of thanksgiving for Him before we do anything else. As a matter of fact, that's not a bad thing to do every day!

2 comments:

James Gilmore said...

I hate to be a pedant, but shouldn't it be 24 days of Advent? Christmas starts on December 25 and goes twelve days until Epiphany, as those good English Christmas carols that I refuse to listen to until December 24 will tell you. Yes, your oldest son is a liturgy geek in addition to the clear artistic prodigy he displayed at a young age.

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

Point well taken, and you're absolutely right! Subsequent posts will reflect the change...

I love having a liturgy geek (and artistic prodigy)in the family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails