Thursday, December 02, 2010

24 Days of Advent - Day 2

This is the second day focusing on Christmas at our house! I've always loved reading and books in general and began collecting antiquarian books when I was in high school. So it's no surprise that I'd like to collect Christmas books, as well. These are just a few of them -- we put them on the music stand of the piano (out of reach of the dog's mouth)!

The one on the left is a small book from 1913 with beautiful illustrations of the verses of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, published as a gift edition.

The 1912 book on the right is Let Us Go to Bethlehem, a book of essays about the Biblical chapters dealing with Jesus' birth. It's a gift edition, too, but it would be pretty heavy reading!

The blue Christmas Carols book is from the 1952 and each carol page has a great illustration to go with it.

My favorite one, though, is The Golden Christmas Book! If you've never seen it, try to find a copy and check it out. It's full of stories, puzzles, carols, coloring pages & games, as well as the story of Jesus' birth. We had this when I was little and my sister and I worked through every page and activity. I still have my original one, but it's pretty well 'loved'.
My favorite part of this favorite book is right inside the front cover: a tissue paper Christmas tree! Okay, so it doesn't look like much to our tech-savvy eyes. It was pretty exciting when you're just a preschooler, though!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails